NLB is well equipped to distribute user connections and create fault tolerance for a number of different applications and network services. Because NLB does not replicate data across cluster nodes—and neither does failover clustering for that matter—using applications that require access to local data that is dynamic or frequently changes is not recommended for NLB clusters.
Applications well suited for NLB clusters are web-based applications and services, proxy services, virtual private network, SMTP gateways, streaming media, and Remote Desktop Services Session Host server systems. Many other applications and services can also run well on NLB clusters, but the preceding list is what most organizations utilize NLB clusters for.
Installing the Network Load Balancing Feature
Before an NLB cluster can be created, the feature needs to be installed on all servers that will participate in the cluster. To install the Network Load Balancing feature, perform the following steps:
1. Log on to each Windows Server 2008 R2 system with an account that has local administrator rights.
2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Administrative Tools, and select Server Manager.
3. In the tree pane, select Features, and in the Actions pane, click the Add Features link.
4. On the Before You Begin page, click Next to continue.
5. On the Add Features page, check the box for Network Load Balancing, and click Next to continue.
6. On the Confirm Installation Selections page, review the list of features that will be added, and click Install to begin the installation.
7. On the Installations Results page, review the results, and click Close to return to
8. Close the Server Manager console and log off of the server.
9. Log on and repeat this process on the remaining servers that will participate in the cluster as required.
Source of Information : Sams - Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed (2010)
One of the misconceptions about cloud storage is that it is only useful for storing files. This assumption comes from the popularity of file...
On today’s Internet, IPv4 has the following disadvantages: • Limited address space. The most visible and urgent problem with using IPv4 on ...
The following are the advantages of WAP: ● Implementation near to the Internet model; ● Most modern mobile telephone devices support WAP; ...
Many of the virus, adware, security, and crash problems with Windows occu when someone installs a driver of dubious origin. The driver suppo...